Friday 15 March 2013

Minas Tirith for Games Workshop

WOW! I only created this blog yesterday and I haven’t published it to any friends yet (on account of the Steampunk sniper rifle being a gift for a friend’s birthday in a few weeks! Shh, mum’s the word), and it’s been viewed by some one from the USA! Exciting!

I’ve never blogged before and don’t feel like I have really put anything of note on here yet, so thanks for looking and check back regularly! I hope I don’t disappoint!
This blog will harbour ideas and pictures of stuff I’ve made.
Recent projects include:
Prop IEDs (Improvised Explosive Device) for Matlock Combat Games Airsoft site
A prop dirty bomb, again for Matlock Combat Games. This was a briefcase with  PVC pipe “charges” linked to a simple electrical circuit that was turned on or off by a key. It was used as an objective for airsoft games by the site. Not sure if I have pics of this, I’ll look later. I’ve got a better design for this in mind….


Anyway, here are some pictures of projects I did while I worked for Games Workshop.

A scale model of Minas Tirith from The Lord Of the Rings for the Games Workshop tabletop game.



 

This was made some years ago while I worked for the GW scenery team. A team of (I think, 7 guys. Some part-timers like myself). It was huge!
It featured at games day and was entirely built from scratch. The buildings were built and then cast in expanding foam to enable them to be cut to shape. There were only 4 or 5 different buildings but they were designed and made so that different cuts across them made it appear that there were far more different styles on the model.






This angle shows the mountain and some of the wall and towers in more detail. The walls were clad in cast resin brick “sheets” warmed and glued in place while still pliable. The tower on the top was made entirely by myself, and I took over the work on the main hall  from Bruce and finished off the awesome frame he built.


A couple of shots of the internal detail.

And here is a some Mordhiem buildings....



I’ll go into detail of my plan for the Steampunk rifle later.





1 comment:

  1. HI. I've seen this post luckily on Internet. You say you have worked for GW for this. Can you, please, send me some pictures of the planning, process or something? I'm on the way to recreate The White City. Thanks in advance.

    DarĂ­o

    ReplyDelete