Thursday 14 March 2013

Every journey....

....starts with a single post.
Well, here I am. I’ve been thinking of blogging for a while but really didn’t know what to blog about. I’m certainly not funny enough to just try jokes and anecdotes, not clever enough to be insightful or interesting. I am repeatedly told that my Facebook posts verge on the frightening with my angry rants, so I thought I’d document some of my creative projects.
I’m starting one soon, as in the next few days, and I’m sure I’ve got some photos of previous stuff somewhere that I can upload.
But first, a quick bit about me. I’m an IT professional working for a large company (I don’t want to say who, just in case…) but I used to work for Games Workshop some years ago. Not in one of the stores you understand, I worked for the UK Events team in an area known within the company as Q-Lab. It was a workshop just attached to the main hall of Warhammer World in Lenton, Nottingham. Our workshop wasn't open to the public but we provided the games tables for events held in the hall, as well as scenery for the tables and custom display models, I’ll post some pictures of our MASSIVE Lord of The Rings Minas Tirith model later.
We had access to every tool you could ever really need. Lathes, sanders, pillar drills, molding and casting equipment (expanding foam and resin), as well as hand tools and materials. I don’t have anything like that now…..

So, my future, and recent projects, will need to be done using what I have laying around. I have neither the time nor the money to go out and buy whatever I need. Improvisation is key.
Off the top of my head, here is what I have and use most often:
Dremel
Drill
Jigsaw
Wood saw
Hacksaw
Hammer
Various screw drivers
Chisels of various widths
Pliers/clippers

My smaller scale stuff includes:
Needle files
Pin vice
Scalpels
Metal rule
Clippers

Generally, I use materials for smaller scale models, scenery for gaming tables etc but I’m branching out to bigger scale. Wood, metal, card, plastic, recycled materials, anything goes now!

My next project is a present for a friend. A Steampunk sniper rifle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment